Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The killer ute

I borrowed my son's huge 4wd ute to collect some newly acquired chairs.  While for the most part I consider myself a reasonably good driver, I will say that as time has progressed, I have become less and less confident with reversing.  Hence I never attempt it as a rule.  However, my son likes his cars reversed into the yard and since I had borrowed his car I decided to do the right thing and reverse park the ute in his driveway.  There are several other vehicles in the double driveway and I was extremely conscious and cautious not to hit them.

I've swung in and been very happy that I  can clearly see that I'm not going to hit a car.  However, slowly backing in I realise that there is some resistance...a metal arch in a small garden off to one side of the driveway.  Dang...too far that way...ok... no damage done I'll just move forward and fix that up.  All of a sudden there's a crunching sound and I've opened my door so see the letterbox lid had been opened by the ute...so I've reversed up a little to free it, only this time it's pulling the whole thing with it..so I try to move forward a little.................

I think you get the idea.  In the end I just drove forward and parked the ute back in my yard and walked  back to find the post lying on the ground with the box flung open on the ground next to it.  I straightened the post.... but it's broken at the ground.


1 comment: