Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year

Well, it is the beginning of yet another new year.  And like most, I'm sure you're saying let's hope it is better than the last, and I'm going to make sure it is by doing this or that or the other thing.  However, I have found that having had quite a few of these beginnings of new years with all the usual things said I have come to realise that we have no say in what happens at all....only in how we respond to what happens.

It is in that response that we choose whether what is going on is good, bad or indifferent.  That decision is based only on right that moment because how many times have we thought something was really good or really bad and then found that a consequence of that is not something we counted on?

It is in that moment we also choose our next action or response.  Again that decision is based only on the information we have at that moment so what comes after is out of our control.

So, what am I trying to say here?  I think what I am trying to say is that all the good thoughts, all the good intentions, all the New Year resolutions, all the common platitudes that we hear and say at this time of year are not important.  What is important is each moment we have and what we do with each moment.  So, with that in mind I offer a prayer for myself and all those I love and care about....

Lord give us direction and strength in each and every moment so that our lives in You are fulfilled to Your will and purpose.  Each moment  we are know Your love and presence even if we don't feel it.  Each moment we are thankful for Your provision and abundance.  And each moment we reflect You to the world around us.

Father, for those I love who do not know you yet I ask that You continue to protect them and draw them to You.   In Jesus name Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I can agree with most of what you say: how we manage each moment and the choices we make are important. we certainly can't control everything and there are many events which are completely out of our control. there is however plenty that we can control, even when we don't quite realise that we are doing so. our choices and how we deal with those moments are also important and the consequences go much further than we ever anticipate.
    i will join you in your prayer and may your 2010 be blessed.

    ReplyDelete