Monday, December 28, 2009

Reflections of Christmas

I have had some time over the last few days to just think about Christmas and how it's changed.  As a young child it was all about santa and the presents.  It was exciting and magical and wonderful.

Then as an older child/teenager it was an anti-climax in some ways as the mystery and magic had gone.

As a parent of little ones it was about recreating the excitement and wonder that was there for me as a child.  But over the years somehow it became a source of dread for me.  A self-inflicted pressure about having to make each Christmas bigger and better than the last.  It took quite a while for me to get out of that one...if I am indeed completely done with it. 

Now as a mother of adults it has changed again.  I now have the freedom to just enjoy the company of my children, watching them interact with each other and their partners and see each of them as their own person, not as my child but as unique wonderful individuals.   

I am very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment