Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A job at last.

I have for the last two months, since closing the doors on my retail business, been looking for a job.  My faith has kept me from going totally around the twist.  I remember a time about 4 years ago when I was unemployed for a week.  That week was horrendous...I was beside myself with fear and worry.  This last two months... I've been concerned but not worried, mildly anxious from time to time but not fearful.  I'm still here, I've eaten, the animals have eaten, I still have my phone and my internet ... all this and more and I'm not quite sure how.  But I do KNOW without a shadow of a doubt the God has been looking after me.

Today I had a second interview for a job that I interviewed for yesterday.  In this 2nd interview I was offered and accepted the position.  Driving home I started to think over the interview again and something that had struck me as odd at the time but I didn't pursue came back to my thoughts.  I was offered the job at an annual rate that was then going to be converted to an hourly rate and I'd clock on and off and would be paid overtime.  He then went of to say something about the short 3 day week between Christmas and New Year where I wouldn't be working full days and my pay would be less.  So, does that mean I am not being employed as a permanent fulltime employee with the benefits of such.  I will have seek some clarification on that as temporary/casual employment is NOT a long term option for me. 

On the way to the interview I had a call from an agency regarding another job I'd applied for yesterday as I was driving at the time I told him I would call him back when I got home.  That would also give me a chance to refresh my memory as to which particular job it was...my vague recollection was that it was a job I'd really like but didn't think I'd get response on.

I was right that it is a job I would really like.  It is also a much better pay than I had just been offered and also has the added advantage of being able to use air conditioned public transport as opposed to drive for the same amount of time in peak hour traffic in a non air conditioned car and all the ancilliary running costs.  I'm going to interview with the agency tomorrow afternoon. 

The situation has been explained to the agency consultant and that I have accepted this job today but I am still very interested in his role and so he has said that he will try to get an earlier interview for me after our meeting.  If that interview goes ahead I pray that they can give me an answer before Monday.

I feel awful about the thought of changing my mind with the people from today however, an extra 7K per annum plus greatly reduced travelling costs (when you take into consideration all the costs of running the car an extra 90km per day) is a lot of money when I am faced with the debt of a failed business.

No comments:

Post a Comment