Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lucky 7

Today we had a family pre-christmas lunch to do the big "Secret Santa" Draw.  It was a lovely afternoon with the three older kids and their partners.  The youngest stayed long enough to do the draw and off he went with his mates.  Being 20 and single is such a busy social time of life.  Mind you he was off to go swimming in one of the nicest swimming holes in the area so I couldn't say I wouldn't have done the same at his age, particularly in the sweltering heat we've been having.

The whole secret santa thing has been introduced for the first time this year although I do remember suggesting it a few times in previous years.  They just weren't quite ready for it.  Some are still not too sure of it.  In particular one who feels that it shows a lack of love and caring by others.  He obviously has gifts as a major love language.  Hopefully, on Christmas Day there will be a great sense of joy and fun and he will realise that he has received and given a great deal without having spent a heap of money.

I didn't mind the idea at all as it means I can spend a decent amount on one person and not go into bankruptcy over Christmas.  Starting my new job on Monday makes finding the preset amount easier.  The only concern I had about it was getting someone I didn't know what to buy.  They were my daughter's partner, as I still don't know him well enough to know what he's in to, and my eldest son's partner.  I have no idea what I would get her.

The draw was done with numbers being drawn from the 'hat' and being giving a corresponding envelope.  We had to check that we didn't pick ourselves or our partners.  I drew everybody's Lucky Number 7. 



It turns out that number 7 is not my lucky number.  I got one of the ones I didn't want to get.  Seems I am to be challenged in this.


1 comment:

  1. Oh you have my sympathies... and any assistance I may be able to offer. perhaps if each person ws write a 'wish list' to go in with the envelope that may help in gift selection - next year? is it too late too ask each person to write one and distribute them?

    ReplyDelete