Thursday, December 24, 2009

Finished Experiment

While knitting washers I had a thought...

I decided to make it smaller but to actually do two joined together then folding them and sewing them together to make a pocket. The pocket to house a bar of soap.  The pattern is very simple and basic (which is the ONLY reason I attempted it in the first place) starting with 4 stitches and increasing on each row with knit 2, yarn to the front and then decreasing with knitting one, two together, yarn to front and two together.  This creates a little row of holes along the edge.  With the larger one you'd go back to four on and cast off.  However, for this smaller one I started to increase again.



The plan is to fold in half and sew the two together so that it forms a pocket for holding a bar of soap.  (This way you don't end up with the daggy bits of soap that you end up either squishing them all together to form a usable size soap or they sit in the soap dish and go gluggy.) Ah... but how to make it re-usable.

I sewed up three sides and then threaded ribbon along those same three sides through both edges leaving a good length at both ends.  On the open edge I threaded one end through one side and the other end through the other side so that the hole was still open.  I then secured the ribbon at both ends of the opened edge at the corners to stop the ribbon from sliding all the way through.

I found a nice lemon myrtle soap in this particular case to go inside and then gently tied in a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment