Saturday, December 5, 2009

Graciousness tested

It seems that my lesson in graciousness is not yet complete.

The BBQ picnic day dawned a beautiful sunny day with a lovely breeze and not too hot. I got to the spot about an hour earlier to make sure we got the spot we wanted but it was already inhabited by SSB1 and 2 who had set up the chairs, set the table and cleaned the BBQ. What treasures they are!

Before long people started to arrive. All those in our group who we had expected and then the family. It then became clear that SSB 1 and 2 and the project manager were expected to play hostess, cook and waitress for the soon to be couple and family.

Again, breathe deep and smile and be gracious.

The meal prepared and eaten there was yet ANOTHER unexpected guest arrival. Apparently, while project manager was cooking the BBQ the soon to be ex group member had rung friends that we all new but who were a couple and invited them to come. This made it extremely awkward and difficult for everyone else involved as the couple had felt hurt that they weren't invited until then and then when they kind of realised what it was supposed to be about seemed to feel a little uncomfortable.

I am afraid that I was feeling really angry; I don't think anyone else knew just how cranky I was but I know that some shared my displeasure and our two darling SSB's I think felt very put out and were most uncomfortable as they had spent the day with the newly arrived couple a few days earlier and had not invited them to the BBQ as they did not feel it was appropriate.

When it came time to do the birthday present and cake SSB1 and 2 and the project manager chose to present our group member first and made sure that it was recognised that this was a 'singles group' event and then made the presentation to the fiance second.

That did satisfy my need for saying something at the time however, in the grand scheme of things it has achieved nothing. Firstly, the one it was intended to 'tell off' I am quite sure is still none the wiser. And secondly, I sit here and am convicted of having had 'revenge' in my heart and that is not at all gracious and over something so petty too. I think I have a lot more learning to do.

1 comment:

  1. 2.55am - it is also keeping you awake! what are you going to do with this?

    ReplyDelete